An NYPD officer was arrested Wednesday at his Forest Hills home for his role in a plan involving "kidnapping, cooking and eating body parts" of as many as 100 women, according to federal authorities.
The grisly details were released by the U.S. Attorney on Thursday afternoon, and included text messages in which suspect Gilberto Valle's co-conspirators asked "How was your meal?" to which Valle responded: "I am meeting her on Sunday."
Valle, 28, was charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping, and accessing a computer without authorization. He allegedly used the National Crime Information Center database to look up information about his would-be victims, then recorded that information for later use.
“Gilberto Valle’s alleged plans to kidnap women so that they could be raped, tortured, killed, cooked, and cannibalized shocks the conscience," said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara. "This case is all the more disturbing when you consider Valle’s position as a New York City Police officer and his sworn duty to serve and protect.”
Last month, the FBI discovered a number of e-mails and instant messages from two as yet unrevealed co-conspirators helping Valle to map out his crimes.
According to the U.S. Attorney, Valle kept lists of plans, which he called "blueprints," on his personal computer, detailing methods by which he would kidnap his victims.
The criminal complaint, obtained by the Wall Street Journal, includes conversations with Valle's co-conspirator about ways in which he would prepare his victims.
In one conversation obtained by police, Valle said he intended to "cook her over a low heat, [to] keep her alive as long as possible."
In another, a conspirator asked Valle how big his oven is.
"Big enough to fit one of these girls if I folded their legs," he responded.
Valle also allegedly agreed to kidnap a woman for one of his co-conspirators and deliver her alive in exchange for $5,000.
“The allegations in the complaint really need no description from us. They speak for themselves. It would be an understatement merely to say Valle’s own words and actions were shocking," said Mary Galligan, acting assistant director in charge with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Neighbors were upset by the news, particularly those who currently live in Valle's apartment building.
Aaron Tolson, 37, just moved into his apartment there a week ago.
"I wonder, because I just moved in, was he eyeing my wife? It's the kind of thing that's scary," Tolson said. "You can always watch out for yourself — I'm always looking over my shoulder and I try to meet my wife out every day when she comes home even though we do live in a nice neighborhood — but if the guy is in your building, what are you gonna do?"
Juan, 42, a life-long Forest Hills resident who lives nearby, echoed the sentiment.
"I actually got a little more nervous when I heard that he had a list of 100 women, because I'm married," he said. "Me and my wife walk the dog around here, sometimes it's just her walking him, and who knows if there is some psycho standing on the corner taking pictures and [thinking] 'This'll be my next one.' So it scares you."
Bharara said the investigation is ongoing.